Wednesday 18 January 2012

The things that make you go "blech" ....


So Marco and I have decided to embrace the Naturopathic way of eating!  This is week 2 of eating protein and lots of vegetables. Now, this is nothing new for us, as we were always a good boy and girl eating all of our vegetables, but we always ate it with ww rice or some such carb.  It is true that when something becomes "forbidden" you suddenly start craving it big time!! I miss carbs :(.  The number one concern I had for starting this course of eating was making sure that we do not get bored with our food ( and by bored I mean, quitting and having a gorge fest on CARBS...;).  Therefore I have been searching the Web for some inspiring vegetable creations.  First up was a totally delicious spaghetti squash recipe.  I got a workout just by cutting the darn thing in two!!...for added protein I added some homemade pasta sauce (thanks to Marco's Mom).  That night for dinner, I presented the plate of spaghetti squash and sauce to Marco and then waited for his reaction.  I just caught his grimace and look of disgust before he turned his head.  I innocently ask, "so how is it?" and Marco's reply is thus, " well it is better than starving!"  I was too busy laughing to be insulted...besides it was the squash he disliked, not the cook :)...Anyhow, he has now grown to like it, or at least pretend to.  He is such a trooper! As for me, I quite enjoy it.  It is a good substitute for pasta. 
The cartoon above reminded me of tonight's dinner.  Once again I found a new recipe this time  for brussel sprouts.  I usually steam them, but tonight's recipe asked that you roast them.  So Marco arrives home from work, I had a delicious dinner of orange ginger chicken, carrots and roasted brussel sprouts ready to be served.  Marco reminds me, just as we are about to eat, that as a child he tried brussel sprouts "once" and didn't really like them.  I assured him that these would be great, far better than the ones from his childhood.  Every parent girlfriend has to cajole their child boyfriend once in awhile..hehe. Soooo...he did eat them, but the look on his face was of pure agony and torture!  Again, what a trooper!!  So the moral of this post is this....."What doesn't kill us (spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, etc) will only make us STRONGER! :) Take care

1 comment:

  1. Love it! And I'm with Marco on the brussel sprouts :) The magazine "Real Simple' has great protein/veggie combo supper recipes too (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/index.html). All the best in your veggie adventures!

    ReplyDelete